Coaching Code of Ethics
Section 1: Definitions
We: Any person employed in a coaching capacity by Eryr Glas Ltd.
Coaching: Coaching is partnering with clients in a thought-provoking and creative process that inspires them to maximize their personal and professional potential.
A professional coaching relationship: A professional coaching relationship exists when coaching includes a business agreement or contract that defines the responsibilities of each party.
In order to clarify roles in the coaching relationship, it is often necessary to distinguish between the client and the sponsor. In most cases, the client and sponsor are the same person and therefore jointly referred to as the client. For purposes of identification, however, these roles are defined as follows:
Client: The "client" is the person(s) being coached.
Sponsor: The "sponsor" is the entity (including its representatives) paying for and/or arranging for coaching services to be provided.
In all cases, coaching engagement contracts or agreements should clearly establish the rights, roles and responsibilities for both the client and sponsor if they are not the same persons.
Section 2: Professional Conduct At Large
1) We will not knowingly make any public statement that is untrue or misleading about what we offer as coaches, or make false claims in any written documents relating to the coaching profession or our credentials.
2) We will accurately identify our coaching qualifications, expertise, experience, certifications and any association memberships.
3) We will recognize and honour the efforts and contributions of others and not misrepresent them as our own. We understand that violating this standard may leave us subject to legal remedy by a third party.
4) We will, at all times, strive to recognize personal issues that may impair, conflict or interfere with our coaching performance or our professional coaching relationships. Whenever the facts and circumstances necessitate, we will promptly seek professional assistance and determine the action(s) to be taken, including whether it is appropriate to suspend or terminate our coaching relationship(s).
5) We will conduct ourselves in accordance with this Code of Ethics in all coaching, training, coach training, coach mentoring and coach supervisory activities.
6) We will conduct and report research with competence, honesty, and within recognized scientific standards and applicable subject guidelines. Any research will be carried out with the necessary consent and approval of those involved, and with an approach that will protect participants from any potential harm. All research efforts will be performed in a manner that complies with all the applicable laws of the country in which the research is conducted.
7) We will maintain, store and dispose of any records created during our coaching business in a manner that promotes confidentiality, security, and privacy and complies with any applicable laws and agreements.
8) We will use any personal information (e-mail addresses, telephone numbers, etc.) only in the conducting of business with the client and/or sponsor. We will not supply information to any third party unless specifically instructed to do so by the client or unless forced by law to do so.
Section 3: Conflicts of Interest
9) We will seek to avoid conflicts of interest and potential conflicts of interest and openly disclose any such conflicts. We will offer to remove ourselves when such a conflict arises.
10) We will disclose to our client and his or her sponsor all anticipated compensation from third parties that we may pay or receive for referrals of that client.
11) We will only barter for services, goods or other non-monetary remuneration when it will not impair the coaching relationship.
12) We will not knowingly take any personal, professional, or monetary advantage or benefit of the coach-client relationship, except by a form of compensation as agreed in the agreement or contract.
Section 4: Professional Conduct with Clients
13) We will not knowingly mislead or make false claims about what our client or sponsor will receive from the coaching process or from us as the coach.
14) We will not give our prospective clients or sponsors information or advice we know or believe to be misleading or false.
15) We will have clear agreements or contracts with our client(s) and sponsor(s). We will honour all agreements or contracts made in the context of such professional coaching relationships.
16) We will carefully explain and strive to ensure that, prior to or at the initial meeting, our coaching client(s) and sponsor(s) understand the nature of coaching, the nature and limits of confidentiality, financial arrangements, and any other terms of the coaching agreement or contract.
17) We will be responsible for setting clear, appropriate, and culturally sensitive boundaries that govern any physical contact we may have with our clients or sponsors.
18) We will not become sexually intimate with any of our current clients or sponsors.
19) We will respect the client's right to terminate the coaching relationship at any point during the process, subject to the provisions of the agreement or contract. We will be alert to indications that the client is no longer benefiting from our coaching relationship.
20) We will encourage the client or sponsor to make a change if we believe the client or sponsor would be better served by another coach or by another resource.
21) We will suggest our client(s) seek the services of other professionals when deemed necessary or appropriate.
Section 5: Confidentiality/Privacy
22) We will maintain the strictest levels of confidentiality with all client and sponsor information. We will have a clear agreement or contract before releasing information to another person, unless required specifically by law.
23) We will have a clear agreement upon how coaching information will be exchanged among coach, client, and sponsor.
24) When acting as trainers of student coaches, we will clarify confidentiality policies with the students.
25) We will have associated coaches and other persons whom we manage in service of our clients and their sponsors in a paid or volunteer capacity make clear agreements or contracts to adhere to this entire Code of Ethics.
Pledge of Ethics
We acknowledge and agree to honour our ethical and legal obligations to our coaching clients and sponsors, colleagues and to the public at large. We pledge to comply with this Code of Ethics and to practice these standards with those whom we coach.
Effective from 4th July 2011.
© 2016 Andrew D. Pope All rights reserved
© 2016 Andrew D. Pope
All rights reserved